Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Attachment to things

I just shut down my computer for the final time, knowing that I will never, ever be able to turn it on again. The case broke (it's a laptop) and I caught the hinge on the carpet and ripped the power button and many other important things off, and the wires are such a bad state that it's probably unsalvagable. Regardless, I was going to buy a new computer so wouldn't be using it much longer. Not worth saving.

But I've used it for over three years now. It got me through the entirety of Uni, I've had good HB times on it, and it's been a good friend. I feel sad and ashamed to tuck it away in the bottom of a cupboard never to see the light of day again even though now that I've backed up it's hard drive it is completely dud.

I wondered if anyone has similar experiences. A sentimental attachment to things which are just functional items - that are no longer functional any more. Ever kept things just because they used to be something great? (Husbands don't count ladies)

Ever had problems due to it? My bedroom is full of shit because I'm a big hoarder.

Thinking about it, I have five or six computers stuffed in closets in my room because they mean something to me. Fuck.

I suppose I have two broken binders both relating to a story my best friend and I have been creating for use. I keep them because of the memories. We can't see each other anymore due to living in different states, so I guess I like having them just because.

We're still supposed to be working on it, but... Oh dear, it's all my fault. D:

My old, nearly non-functional GBC, for one. I've had a lot of things like that over the years, tho I've finally started cleaning up and getting rid of some of them.

Good idea, bit annoying as I use a laptop so having to have it with me, but just for moving everything across it would be really useful, thanks.

I am still attached to my first laptop. It's a paper-weight now.
128MB RAM 0.66GHz Pentium CPU, 512KB Video Memory, 1024x768 screen.
Might be even worse than that, I will look it up when I get home.

What I find is that when a computer goes kaput, in stead of restoring the HDD data I'm okay with just letting it go and moving on, you get a really good feeling when you let your history and electronic life get erased only for you to start again fresh.

I approach this sentiment from a less common perspective.
I can willingly part with anything I own, the majority with extreme ease.

The interesting part is why.
Instead of sentimental objects, anything that actually means something to me (which is already unusually rare) is marked on my body. Either tattoos, piercings, scars, or the like. Those are my sentiments which I won't part with. I've maintained that tradition since I was 16. My body tells my story. I do my best to keep "things" out of it.

Just bought a caddy like JBrist said. £6.99 from PC World... plug and play, 2 seconds flat and it's all there.

...after I spend some 32 hours copying everything onto an external hard drive, too.

After watching The Brave Little Toaster as a kid, for yeeears, I became enormously attached to everything.

Old shoes. Lamps. Blankets. Appliances. (Sound familiar?) If anything other than obvious scrap (like wrappers) ever needed to be tossed, until I was like 12, I had this incredibly strong urge to say "goodbye" to it, or hug it and tell it I was sorry. And I still actually give final mental farewells to stuff like computers, apartments, cars.

(Actually, I don't think I've thrown out a computer or laptop in 10+ years ... Sam & I have so many computers because we re-purpose every god damn one.)

After I lost everything when I was kicked out as a teen, I got better at letting go (I had to). But the sentimentality for the big stuff never went away.

Anyway, I imagine that movie made a whole mess of hoarders. SO MUCH GUILT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UfsEj7AOGI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8kQDNLkT3c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOeK0Ig-H9g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEdZh8a4ZvE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLJvDadSfns

And wait, here's a whole article: http://fencingwithink.wordpress.com/201 ... ovie-ever/

(god damn)

Jason

Awesome Bro

Princess Amy":u2r8p9z3 said:
Just bought a caddy like JBrist said. £6.99 from PC World... plug and play, 2 seconds flat and it's all there.

...after I spend some 32 hours copying everything onto an external hard drive, too.

Nice and easy, isn't it? :thumb:

Venetia":1hm8oo1e said:
After watching The Brave Little Toaster as a kid, for yeeears, I became enormously attached to everything.

Old shoes. Lamps. Blankets. Appliances. (Sound familiar?) If anything other than obvious scrap (like wrappers) ever needed to be tossed, until I was like 12, I had this incredibly strong urge to say "goodbye" to it, or hug it and tell it I was sorry. And I still actually give final mental farewells to stuff like computers, apartments, cars.

Hot damn that's a creepy children's film. Your post also sent me down the hyperlink rabbit-hole and now I'm coming up with story ideas for a second RPG...

I took apart my toys when I was little, keychain electronic games, robotic dog, my trashed gameboy. I usually didn't put the stuff back together. Had I known I could have sold a lot of that stuff on ebay I'd have taken better care of it.

I remember once, in this christian class thing my parents force me and my sisters to got to, I forgot to get something to donate for a charity thing. So I grabbed a stuffed bunny out of my room that I didn't think I'd miss. I remember standing in line as we each placed our things in a big pile. I know it was for charity, but it felt like a cult sacrifice ceremony or something. I have nothing but bad memories from that place, it was evil. I thought about sneaking it out some how and 'save it' but because we were in a line I was trapped.
Anyways, on the drive home I started thinking about how my sister and I won that bunny as a carnival prize and I started regretting giving something that had a precious memory attached to it. Plus I had no idea where it would end up.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.