Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Anyone heard about SRPG Studio?

Yeah I think I saw this a while ago. The thing is, these kind of tools get a little too specific to the type of games they produce; RPG Maker is already in a situation where 95% of RPG Maker games look like RPG Maker games, if you go more specific than that then you will get 99.9% of games all being - in this case - Fire Emblem clones.

I'd like to see a tool that goes the other way and removes components of RPG Maker to make it more generic as a starting point for making action RPGs, strategy RPGs or traditional JRPGs.

Well in truth all RPG Maker software (even something like RPG Toolkit) hasn't really changed. I first heard about SRPGS from YouTube, and I wasn't impressed; just another generic maker (yes I even put RPG Maker series as generic). It like RPG Maker series has ALWAYS been specific to a TYPE of RPG; in this case turn based. But RPG games can be action, classic turn based, tactics, certain RTS games, etc. In fact to date we have: RPG Maker series, SRPGS, RPG Toolkit, RPGBoss, Open RPG Maker, Maker3D, EasyRPG, RPG Paper Maker, Solarus Action-RPG game engine, Dart RPG, RPG Playground, RPG 20XX, Dot World Maker , etc., but none of them (even RPG Maker Series) tries to do more. People either make another generic turn-based or an engine inspired by another (RPG 20xx - RPG Maker 2000) or game.

Currently, the only thing SRPGS has is it's tactic based (the only I know of), but being a fan-made engine from a video game makes it a turn.

It just adds to an already bloated market of "rinse-repeat" makers and engine developers.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.